Choosing to invest in hair extensions is a big decision. To be honest, if you’re looking to purchase the highest quality extensions, you’re most likely going to be spending a little bit of money. So when it’s your own hard-earned cash at stake, wouldn’t you want to do whatever you could to make sure you were getting all that it’s worth?
With this in mind, you’re going to want to do everything you can to maintain the quality of your extensions in the long run. Luckily, our friends at Daily Glow have created an easily-to-follow list of guidelines to abide by:
1. Brush Gently – By a force of habit, we tend to just force a comb through our hair each morning without even thinking twice. When you have hair extensions, you need to learn to be a little more careful. Using a soft-bristled brush, start from the bottom and work your way to the root and try your best not to tug!
2. Wash and Moisturize – It’s suggested that with hair extensions, you go for a shampoo that is specialized for dry or damaged hair, and a moisturizing conditioner. You may wash your extensions the same way you would wash your natural hair but remember: because extensions do not produce natural oil, you could go up to two or three days without washing.
3. Don’t Overheat – It’s okay to style your extensions any way you would your natural hair, but remember to do so with care. The ultimate goal is to make sure your extensions stay in quality condition for as long as possible, so only use heated styling tools when necessary and keep the settings on low!
4. Keep Ends Trimmed – If you’ve opted for hair extensions that are made from 100% human hair, it’s likely that you’re going to find a few split ends after a while. Keep damage to a minimum by trimming the ends every 6-10 weeks.
5. Avoid Chemical Processes – While you can color treat your extensions, doing so is not recommended for maintaining quality over time.
Of course, your stylist at Stylistics Inc. should be your go-to source for information if you ever have any additional questions or concerns about caring for your hair extensions. As long as you’re willing to put in the effort, there’s no reason you shouldn’t keep your longer locks looking fabulous for a significant amount of time!